Thanks to Marcin Ignac for pointing out that the below project grid is not working properly on OS X Safari. The long horizontal line of items is not intended ;). Please use another browser to view this until i get it fixed in the next 1-2 days. Happy Holidays!
I worked with an "indie" hollywood studio in collaboration
with Jody Zellen in designing and building a web-based UI
to present their interview videos of the top industry game
designers on HTML5 canvas and video elements. I used ProcessingJS.
The interface featured a line-network of tags shared between the videos.
Each video was a sprite that had its own transformation matrix. Triangle collision
was also employed in order to do mouse picking with non-rectangular 2D polygons.
in addition to instance scoped members.
The company, Artifact Studios, ran way over their revision
allowance, and continued to expect work out of me long
after the contract's duration had ended. And that was the
last time I worked in Hollywood.
Marc Nimoy Extraordinaire was redoing the website for the UCLA Center for Intercultural Performance (CIP) and he had embedded
a small animated gif that had a marquee of text announces and fun blur transitioning. I offered to redo it in
Flash 8, and give him a lot of customization features on the html side so the thing could be dynamically driven and lower bandwidth.
After pulling a happy all-nighter at Beit T'Shuvah,
TextFlasher was born. Thank goodness for cool flash filters. Although I know and love as3, I chose flash 8 because at the time I write this,
that's installed by 98.9% of internet users. If you look in the example files, you'll see a large associative array of values and heavy
Commissioned work that deals with the browser as a medium in promotion of Google Chrome browser.
I chose to port Balldroppings to processing.js
and I made PopupPong -- pong that uses the brower windows as interactive game elements.
BallDroppings was able to happen because of the native Canvas tag included in Chrome, and because
the js engine runs so fast. PopupPong actually proved to be a bit difficult because of a bug in the window
resizing and placement functions.
I developed two versions of this company website for my friends from ITP. They would email me still mockups showing me their designs
and I would distill that into a real site. The first site in 2006 was a lot of flash, php, and xml. The second site in 2009 is more
php and html layouts. Because the original web host did not have mysql, I built a custom CMS which rewrites an xml file to disk and constructs
its interface based on the xml structures it finds. It turned out to be great for designing custom data structures.
I worked at Mekanism in San Francisco for a couple months mostly programming in Actionscript3 Papervision
for a few things. The front page of "Need for Speed Undercover" is a papervision panorama with interactive elements.
I'm impressed with papervision but it still has all the eccentricities of flash-based anything. It was
easy to get into from having been so into OpenGL all this time. There were plenty of example apps to show the art director.
A map of Liverpool's Sefton Park for the Sefton Walk Park project, the
sound player will follow the trail and even catch its place when the
user jumps around in the playback controller. I'm also particularly
proud of the black and white version of the map. The map had to be
drawn from several references since neither Google, nor conceptual
maps have needed to show such a detailed level of trails in the area.
I redid the website for the human computer interaction organisation in Liverpool England that was
commissioning me to do a couple pieces at FACT. I used an open source flavour of flash - mtasc and swfmill
with a lot of xml and a makefile. The source was made available on the site. We used the blog engine, b2evolution,
to manage the content, and the flash file just pulled the content from the mysql database and presented it this multi-windowed way.
Now that I look back on it, Drupal would probably have been more appropriate. The user interface was a bunch of UIComponent windows
that popped up inside the browser. Small green indicators and trails were used to point out where the user had clicked and dragged the mouse
in an artistic overlay. I subclassed the window component to add a resize control at the bottom right corner.
I was involved in the early stages of a collaborative web prank for art's sake, created at the
Interactive Media Department of Fabrica / Benetton during after-hours.
This site shows an embarrassingly ignorant company selling fake products to help American citizens
participate in the nation's new color-coded threat alert system. The T-Shirts, however, are actually for sale.